Monday 28 February 2011

Exclusive interview with fashion designer Paula Immich





Last year I stumbled upon the very interesting clothes of Paula Immich, a Berlin-based designer. So I wanted to ask her further questions... here are the answers, exclusively for you dear readers and followers!

How would you describe yourself and how would you describe your fashion?
I would describe myself as a rather private person. I am not someone who feels completely at ease in a group of people. On the other hand I guess I do have a certain extroverted side. I think everybody –everything in the world wants attention. just think of what crazy shapes and colors for example flowers come in! Clothes for me are a way of comunicating with my surrounding. PAULA IMMICH stands for vanguard and grown-up Design, which develops independently of trends . The personality of the label constantly grows with the style of its designer. High-value material as well as unconventional cuts compound subtle feminity with the ease, that is typical for Berlin. Sustainability in design is a high-hand priority, so styles and seasons are to be combined.



Who are you inspired by?
Sometimes the lack of something or someone can be a very strong drive. They can turn into an inspiration.
Mostly I´m inspired by everyday impressions: in-the-corner-of-my eye. Stuff that I notice out in the street. For the last few collections I have been working with human hair combined into the clothes. Hair as a material fascinates me.


How many collections do you work on per year?
2 collections per year. I have recently been working on a capsule collection which has been launched in February.


Where can we find your designs?
I sell in several stores in Berlin ,as well as my own shop,- a showroom/boutique/workshop where all kinds of people work on different projects. For the last years I have almost been twice a year in Barcelona selling my collection at changing room.


Is Berlin an inspiration?
Although the label´s style doesn´t respond to the look that´s typical for Berlin, it
still is an incredibly creative environment for a designer. Not only other fashion
designer live in Berlin but there's also a myriad galleries, exhibitions and artists. So you are caught in a crossfire of influences.


Are you shown at the Berlin fashion week?
The label will be shown in the EDGED Store, where several labels will be presented. Also we will be having buyers comming to the showroom.


Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
I will think about this tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow.
Or next year.


To finish with, what would you wish to this blog?
I wish you will discover many artistsdesignerspeoplefreaks to keep us updated about artistsdesignerspeoplefreaks around the globe which will make us feel connected to the world sitting in our ateliers.


More info on: www.paulaimmich.de