Thursday 3 June 2010

Exclusive interview with amazing photographer and artist Ivan Terestchenko



I am a huge admirer of the work of Ivan Terestchenko who kindly agreed to answer my interview. Here are the answers below, just for you ! This is very ironic because I love Christian Lacroix as I grew up in Arles and because "it was my last" World of Interiors as I moved from London to Barcelona at the end of May... It might be a sign...( thank you so much Ivan, you're amazing!)

How would you describe yourself and how would you describe your art? An aesthete in adventure, an adventurer in aesthetics.

What other artists, designers, architects do you feel close to? Henri Matisse and Cy Twombly, and designs created by artists who fulfill their personal needs, Irving Penn, Oscar Niemeyer, but I also greatly admire Pierre Boulez, Maya Plisetskaia, Maurice Bejart, Arthur Rubinstein.

What gallery do you work with? I work for magazines and book editors. I like printed materials. Photography is meant for books, meant to be printed.

Do you have an exhibition coming up? Not an exhibition, a book. A book with Robert Murphy ( the author of the private world of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé) about old forgotten sculptors' studios. But we've just started.

Would you consider to do something else if you were not an artist? I would have liked to build ships or stone walls or... be a pianist. At my age, stone wall building is still an option.

What has been the best moment of your career so far? The best moment always belongs to the near future. Expectations !  It is next month with the June cover of The World of Interiors with a story about Christian Lacroix and Mattia Bonetti. (June issue)




Do you consider that "art is alive"?  Art itself is life. Art will be dead when humanity is dead.

To finish with, what would wish to this blog? I wish Art is Alive to become a noble expression and to last, so that we can enjoy reading it for a very long time.

More info: www.itopus.com